Millimetres from death in Maryborough stabbing

Christopher Wyhoon leaves the Bendigo County Court on Friday.FRIDAY:A Maryborough man who stabbed his mate in the neck with a paring knife has been sentenced to 16 months jail.
Nanjing Night Net

Christopher Wyhoon, 34, was sentenced in the Bendigo County Court on Friday.

He has already spent 203 days in custody since the stabbing on February 21 and will spend about 280 more days in jail.

Once released, he will be placed on a two year community corrections order –the eighth CCO he has been made to complete.

Wyhoon failed to complete seven of his previous CCOs.

Judge John Carmody said the latest arrest could end Wyhoon “reign of terror”, after he has been charged for multiple violent offences.

“You have a two year CCO in front of you, and it’s clear corrections do not want you,” he said.

“That means it’s up to you to comply with the order, you have to run it.

“You can’t drink again, otherwise you will come back before me.”

THURSDAY:A Maryborough man was “one thousandth of an inch” from death after his mate stabbed him in the neck with a knife, a court has heard.

The stab wound was one centimetre deep and next to the man’s right carotid artery, which supplies blood to the brain.

Christopher Wyhoon, 34, of Maryborough, pleaded guilty in the Bendigo County Court on Thursday to intentionally and recklessly causing injury, as well as summary charges for breaching a community corrections order.

The court heard Wyhoon was heavily intoxicated on the evening of February 21, when he made his way to the victim’s house in Maryborough unannounced to continue drinking.

He carried a green knife with him and had drank a 500 millilitre bottle of bourbon.

The victim and his partner were present at the house when Wyhoon arrived, and at 11pm he was asked to leave as they wanted to go to bed.

A “scuffle” started and Wyhoon pulled out his knife, stabbing the male victim once in the neck before running out of the house.

The victim came to his partner holding his neck, asking for an ambulance. He was taken to Maryborough Hospital “bleeding profusely” but suffered no lasting injuries.

Crown prosecutor David Cordy said the knife wound was “one thousandth of an inch” from the major artery, and on a different day the man would have been killed.

The attack was two months after Wyhoon was released on bail after an attack on another Maryborough man in his own home.

The court heard on December 22Wyhoon walked into the house through the front door unannounced and was acting “aggressively”, demanding to continue drinking.

The male occupant –a friend of Wyhoon’s –took himout to the front of the house and prevented from coming back inside.

Wyhoon then attacked the man, punching him in the head and pushing him into a tree.

He then kicked his head three times while he was on the ground, demanding a lift to his parent’s house.

The man suffered lacerations and grazes to his head.

Defence counsel Kate Youngson said Wyhoon acknowledged how serious the stabbing was and her client could offer no reasonable explanation.

“There is no explanation, except for the copious amounts of alcohol he had consumed,” she said.

The court heard Wyhoon was carrying the knife because he was “doing fishing stuff” earlier in the evening.

A psychologist’s report found Wyhoon’s intelligence placed him in the “bottom one per cent”, and he has suffered from alcohol dependency for much of his adult life.

He also failed to attend appointments for his community corrections order 10 times in two months.

Judge John Carmody said stopping drinking would be the first step in getting Wyhoon’s life under control.

“It was lucky the man wasn’t killed,” he said.

Mr Cordy said the “rules don’t seem to apply to Wyhoon” and the only way the community could be safe is if he remains in custody.

Wyhoon was assessed for a community corrections order and will be sentenced on Friday morning.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments are closed.